domenica 15 marzo 2009

Reflective Blogging




In this 2nd semester I'd like to improve my listening skills. Indeed I want to focus attention more on radio programs, which are not so easy to understand, because of the colloquial language and the idiomatic expressions that are used and that need to be learned for a successful understanding.

Moreover, I need to improve my writing. Business letters and tecnical language, such as for example, that of politics, science, and journalism, are what I strive for . I think I have already started to achieve this goal, through the task of last week, when I had to choose a blog, through "Tecnorati", and justify my choice and advise the blog i found to my class mates. Here is the url: http://www.vinography.com/. If someone want to learn something more about wine, but through experts' language, here is good example to consider.

Then, I realize I need to improve my speaking, especially I aim to learn more colloquial language, as I am aware that iColore testot is not easy to understand English native speaker, when they use idioms. Nevertheless, I hope to use the language with more precision and I take as example the news language.

In order to achieve these three goals, I need, firstly, to find helpful radio Websites, where I can follow go lives. Then, I should try to speak with more accuracy during the Thursday language, in order to speak as journalists of BBC and CNN. Last but not least, I have to find a way to write about specific topics, such as for example about politics, economy and science, in order to become more familiar with tecnical language.

As you can see, I am still at the beginning of my language challenge. I have done only something to improve my writing and reading, through the wine blog, I found in "Tecnorati", but I need my teacher's help to achieve the other two goals.

3 commenti:

  1. Hi Elena!

    I would like to improve my listening skills, too. Yesterday I listened to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/ and I think you might enjoy this programme about poverty in West Timor. I find it interesting not only because of the issue, but also because you can hear accents different from the typical "standard" English pronounciation.
    I wish you a nice day,

    Francesca M.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Elena!
    I've just read your post on reflective blogging and I found that we both would like to improve our oral and listening skills in order to learn more colloquial expressions.
    I also took a look to the blog you suggested on wine and there I found a lot of technical expressions that were interesting.
    I hope we will work together this semester to become more aware of our weaknesses in order to reach an higher level in oral and also in written English.
    Bye Bye
    Anna

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi Elena!
    I would like to improve my listening and speaking skills too. I think that acquiring mastery and a good command of the language studied is a common and hoped target for all of us. I was really happy to know that we will work together this semester. I'm sure that our efforts will gratify us. I also visited the blog you suggested and I found it really interesting as regards the linguistic aspect: it uses a very technical terminology. I suggest you to visit the one I chose, that is http://www.ihanna.nu/blog/. You will find it very pleasant.Have a nice day!

    RispondiElimina